Google

Precinct 333


Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Come Let Us Sit Upon The Ground. . .

and tell sad stories of the deaths of presidents.

Sorry, Will, but the paraphrase seems fitting. I think that your plays are all in the public domain, in any event.

Ronald Reagan lies in the Capitol Rotunda this night, honored by the citizens of a nation which owes him much. I have spent much time thinking of what to say this night, and still can find no words better than those I placed in the remembrance book at the Reagan Library site on Saturday night.

My prayers and deepest sympathy are with you and the family at this time.

I first heard the name Ronald Reagan as a child living in California. I was only three years old when he was elected governor, but my parents taught me early that he was a good man, and one to be admired. I followed his career from then on.

As an adolescent I listened to Ronald Reagan on the radio. What he said made sense, and he was a major influence in the formation of my world-view. As he challenged for the presidential nomination in 1976, I hoped that he would be the one to make us proud of America again. My heart broke when he conceded.

Four years later I sat late into the night, waiting for him to appear and announce his vice- presidential candidate. I was 17, and excited by his words and vision. I had never worked on a campaign before, but I did then. I am one of that generation he inspired with his conservative vision and principles.

In 1984 I cast my first presidential vote for Ronald Reagan. He remains the standard by which I judge any candidate for office.

Tonight I weep. I weep because of the loss of a man who holds a unique place in my heart and life. I weep from gladness, that the suffering is over. And I weep for joy that Ronald Reagan is today with his God in Heaven.

Rest well, good and faithful servant.




|

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.