Google

Precinct 333


Friday, June 11, 2004

A tribute to a friend

Another great American died this week, another son of Illinois returned home to his God. And while his death stirred much less notice, I would like to note the passing of Father Edwin H. Hustedde. Father Ed was noted for so many things in his life, whether it was his role as an innovative educator in southern Illinois during his time as founding principal of Gibault Catholic High School, his pastoral work in the Diocese of Belleville, or his reputation as "the Pitching Priest" for the Waterloo Buds baseball team.

I leave you with my thoughts from the online memorial book.

May God richly reward Father Ed as he enters the Kingdom of Heaven.

It was my experience that Father Ed was a deeply spiritual man, one who found his calling to serve God through the work of educating the children who passed the doors of Gibault. That institution will stand as a living memorial to his vision and devotion to that vocation. His example is one that inspires me to this day in my own teaching career.

To the Hustedde family and the Gibault community, as well as the many people touched through his parish ministry, I offer my deepest sympathy and my prayers for you in this time of loss.

|

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.